Sunday, September 7, 2008

Go Away Gustav!


It's been awfully rainy here in the Delta. Mississippi avoided a direct hit to the gulf, however, rain bands from the system have radiated to greet us. Though it's been wet I can't complain. I would much rather deal with showers than floods. It did dry up just in time for the weekend here in Cleveland. From 8 am until 10 am, starting in June and running through November, Cleveland hosts a farmers' market. Because the focus of my work here is food security, I try to make it to the market to gauge community support, converse with my Institute co-workers, and mainly, to fellowship with the vendors. It's interesting that something as simple as a farmers' market can have such an impact on community. Two weeks ago I missed the market and felt genuinely out of touch. The market, as I've found, is also a great place for poor VISTA's like myself to pick up some free food items. My first week out Jesse, a vendor and colleague, gave me some pesto. This week Miss Holland let me take home an entire pecan pie! Following this week's market I attended a children's literacy fair. The fair was held in Mound Bayou, Mississippi which holds claim to being the first black founded and governed municipality. The town has quite a history -- check it out on-line. Unfortunately, the rich history of the town is muted by the painfully evident decay that has taken place. Before the fair, I had visited the town with one of its former residents. He left out the encyclopedic history and told me his own. However, it was clear from the towns aesthetic that something both great and tragic had taken place here. The fair was more work than I'd anticipated. My plan was to pass out books and chill but, smelling my newness, I was lassoed into face painting. Now granted, this was a children's event. But are kids allowed to critique the volunteer "artist"? Your name in bubble letters outlined in alternating colors offset from a whimsical rainbow background is not exactly a request for a volunteer. Nevertheless, I had fun and came away with a book of my own.


Work remains interesting and full. I had the wonderful opportunity to travel with my boss and his colleague to Mississippi State University to attend a presentation at their community research facilities. I was also introduced to the director of this group, Dr. Cosby, who was incredibly energetic and impressive in both his work and his generosity to me. The facilities devoted to community research and MSU were incredible.



Other than that, much is the same. I continue to enjoy the Delta and all of the new people I am meeting. Take care and see you next week.




PICS: (above) closed hospital in Mound Bayou; (center) literacy fair; (bottom) historic signage in front of hospital introducing town

No comments: