Sunday, September 21, 2008

Constitution Day



Short entree: This past Thursday Delta State University hosed a presentation for its annual Constitution Day. The speaker was Douglas A. Blackmon author of 'Slavery by Another Name'. While I was in Minneapolis, working downtown at the YMCA, I would often find myself wondering around in the 30-minutes to an hour I had between work and catching my bus. One Monday (the Library is closed on Monday's) a book at Barnes & Noble caught my eye. The cover was catching so I walked back to see the title. My interest was only in the design but in pulling it from the shelf I noticed the subtitle, 'The Re-enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to WWII'. I read the description then perused the pages. The pictures were amazing so I had to start reading. Everyday I would go to the book store and read the book. When I saw the posters around town I ordered the book and cleared my schedule. Here are some pics taken after the presentation. Mr. Blackmon was kind enough to sign my book and take a photo with me.

I'll pass on a idea Mr. Blackmon shared during the presentation and take time here to suggest reading the book.
-- When one considers that Lincoln did not end slavery, the arguments that 'blacks should move on' or 'get over it -- it's been 150 years' must be re-examined. Slavery did not end 150 years ago. At its earliest, slavery ended in the 1940's -- 60 years ago. When you also consider that equal rights were not recognized and/or protected by law until the 1970's with equal housing rights and protections, the advancement of blacks can be put into context. It is not longer a frustration with how much catching up must be done, rather an amazement at the velocity of achievement.

No comments: