Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like..... (pt II)


Okay, I spoke too soon. Here it is, March 1st, and the Mississippi Delta is experiencing its first (& probably only) snow of the season. On Thursday the temperature was in the 70's. Friday a system came hurling through the Delta bringing all day rains. This time I was prepared and stayed put -- avoiding flooding my engine by attempting to part the waters with my Honda. By Saturday afternoon the temperature had dropped precipitously and the storm system that had come through on Friday brought its momma-nem. The wind blew so hard Saturday night I just knew we would have a tornado. Fortunately we didn't. Instead, the strong winds, low temperature, and moisture combined to give us a whirling, snow-globe-worthy snowfall. By 9 am most of the snow had melted. I took some pictures of the snow (while it lasted) on my steps and on the tuft of grass outside my door. The bottom of the local news displayed a scroll of church and activity closings. I couldn't help but whistle, down here in the Delta, the Christmas classic "Let it Snow".

No comments: