Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

This weekend I was able to take a day off and make a trip to Canton, Mississippi (birthplace of the Miss Bettie Walker - or mom as I like to call her). Thanksgiving Day started off with me sleeping in. Here in the Delta the weather is similar to a Midwest mid-fall. The air was crisp and the sun was gleaming. I sat in my dining room reading the paper with a big cup of coffee. Of course I got a bit too caught up in the ambiance of the day and found myself rushing to get out of the door and on the road so I wouldn't miss my aunt's 2:30 dinner. Is it me or does "dinner" in the south begin around lunchtime? Anyway, I packed, hit the road, and headed to my Aunt Alice's house. My aunt likes to cook so listing all of her menu items would take up too much blog space. Suffice it to say in addition to the six (yes six) pies she baked (12 of us were present for dinner) dinner was excellent! I spent the next four days lounging around my aunts house. She has a room in her home that I call the yellow room where I love to lodge. The room has a huge window, a couch, television with dish access, and a private bathroom. I love this room not because its yellow (pink's my color) but because - as you can tell from the description - it is very much like a hotel. I like to think I spent the weekend eating great food and relaxing at the Hotel Alize!

1 comment:

mom said...

Yes, Aunt Alice (I call her Sista) because she is my only sister can really cook and lots of food is her speciality. Ok, Miranda don't forget I can cook also. In fact when you come home I'll make peas for you..your fav. Early peas as they call them in the south. Don't you just love Canton, afer all without Canton, we wouldn't be reading your blog.
Mom